Bangladesh remains the second biggest apparel exporter
Release Date: August 2, 2018
Bangladesh held on to its status as the second biggest apparel supplier in the world in 2017, accounting for 6.5 percent share of the market, according to data from the World Trade Organisation (WTO).
In 2017, Bangladesh exported garment items worth $29 billion, the data said. In 2016, Bangladesh's share of the global apparel market was 6.4 percent. China remained the largest apparel supplier globally, although its share shrank to 34.9 percent. The value of exported clothing items from China last year was $158 billion.
Vietnam came in third with its 5.9 percent market share, the WTO data said. It exported $27 billion worth of garment products in 2017.
Neighbouring India, with its garment exports of $18 billion in 2017, ranked fourth. Turkey came fifth with a 3.3 percent market share.
Source From: The Daily Star
- The next hot spot for apparel sourcing August 8, 2018
- India doubles import tax on textile products, may hit China August 7, 2018
- Green factories can give garment exporters another edge: BKMEA August 3, 2018
- ‘Bangladesh’s apparel industry needs an urgent business transformation plan to remain relevant’ July 25, 2018
- BGMEA for Dhaka-Delhi cooperation in textile sector July 22, 2018